Friday, January 20, 2012

Jacking My Style

I'm going to try not to turn this into a complete rant, but bear with me. As I've previously stated, nothing bothers me more than people who do not have their own style. If we were all supposed to look alike, then we would. Right?

Being in cosmetology school, I see people experimenting with their looks every day. I admit, I've done some experimenting myself. That's how I ended up with red hair. About two days after I debuted my new look, at least five girls attempted to achieve the same look. One girl even got my same exact haircut.. or at least her version of it. I was beyond annoyed, and honestly I don't know why this bothers me so badly. I've always marched to the beat of my own drummer and never cared if what I was doing or wearing met others' approval. I just like to be different.

There are so many ways to experiment with your look. Your options are endless! Don't stay in the box and duplicate what you just saw walking past you. Let's say you saw a woman with amazing eye makeup. You loved everything about it. Why not draw inspiration from her and try a similar look with different colors? You could even pair it with a new lip or cheek color. It's hard to know what will look great until you try. You might create your own signature look. To avoid the morning panic if the look doesn't work, try it at night before you wash your face. You can play around with it. No one will see it, and you can experiment until you get it right. If I'm trying something new, I also like to take pictures in different light to see if it will work for me everywhere. I just grab my iPhone and go into different rooms of the house and snap quick photos. You can do it with your hair, too. Experiment with new styles before your next shampoo or on the weekend. Easy enough!

I feel the same way about clothing choices. I know this isn't a fashion blog, but this is just a part of my rant. I can't stand it when I see a pack of women who all have the exact same style. It happens at every age. With teenagers it's the "I worked really hard at trying to look like I didn't work really hard to get this look." With 20 somethings it's "I spent my whole paycheck on this super trendy fashion-forward outfit so that I could be the trendiest girl here". You catch my drift.

You'll hear me say it more than once, and it might annoy you... BE YOURSELF! It doesn't matter if anyone likes it. You like it. When you are your most genuine version of yourself, you exude confidence. Everyone you encounter will be able to see that you are comfortable in your skin, and you are secure with who you are. I don't ever want anyone to look at me and think "I wish I had her hair, makeup and clothes". I want them to know that they are looking at a confident woman who wouldn't want to be anyone else but who I am. Don't jack my style. Jack my confidence!



This is the red hair I keep talking about. I was going for a classic look on this day and paired liquid black eyeliner with red lipstick. The liner is Maybelline Line Stiletto. The lipstick is "Fire" by Chanel.

No comments:

Post a Comment