Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Rainy Days, Big Hair, Puffy Eyes

I'm just going to jump right in. Instead of doing a "get to know me" post, I'll start talking, and you'll get to know me that way. Oh, my name is Kristin, by the way. Kiki is a nickname I was given. I'll tell you about it some other time...

Today was not my best beauty day. An excellent thing to hear from a self-proclaimed beauty blogger, I know. It was raining. It was cold. I was tired and having a pretty nice allergy attack. None of these things compose me at my most fabulous self.

I have naturally curly hair. Most people say "Oh I am so jealous! I would love for my hair to curl!" Ok, that may be true. But if I'm being completely honest, curly hair is both a blessing and a curse. On most days, it's a blessing. When I'm running late or just plain lazy, I can throw some product in it, diffuse it a little bit and go. It holds curl and style like a dream..on most days. Then there are days like today. My hair was especially cantankerous today. It was extra course, extra dry and extra big. I did my usual product, diffuse and go. I thought it was cute. By the time I got to school (I'm in cosmetology school. See, you're getting to know me already!).. right so by the time I got to school, my hair was this frizzy, sort of wavy, red fuzzy mess. I admittedly am obsessed with my hair. It's always been my thing. So today was not my best day. I felt incomplete without a perfect hairstyle. I wanted to go home and start over. Curly hair. Epic fail.

Then there were my lovely, allergy stricken, puffy eyes. They were watering, itching, burning, and not a friend to the amount of eye makeup that I am used to. To me, smoky eyes are for any and every occasion. But today there would be no lining my inner rims with my favorite eyeliner. There was no smudging my liner-shadow combination into the perfect smoky eye. Unfortunately, I had to settle for minimal eye liner and only one coat of mascara. Puffy, allergy eyes. Epic fail.

I tell you all of this for a reason. Everyone has an off day every now and then. The day when you just can't get it right and you feel like poo all day. You don't want to look in the mirror (Lucky me, I'm surrounded by mirrors at school.), and you really don't want anyone to look at you at all. I'm pretty wrapped up in how I look. Not in a vain way, but I just like to feel put together and presentable at all times. People often comment about the fact that my hair is always done and makeup is always "perfect". I've heard it so often that it has given me a complex. I feel like I always have to get it right and look perfect because I have set that standard for myself. In all actuality, it is perfectly fine to have an off day. It feels great to wear no makeup and let your hair be a mess...Although, I in no way condone making this a habit! But sometimes it happens, and it's ok. It shouldn't make you feel bad about yourself. It shouldn't make you feel like you want to hide. You are a real person. You have rough days, and sometimes it shows. Luckily, you get to wake up in the morning and start all over again. Chances are, by tomorrow, no one will remember that I had big hair and puffy eyes today. I'll use more hair product tomorrow and dab on a little extra eye cream. I feel better already!

My cure for today's issues?

                                                             Moroccan Oil for the hair

 Clinique All About Eyes for the puffiness.

2 comments: